It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. ~Mark Twain
Think about it.
How many times have you just KNOWN something was so, and then later found out you were wrong and had to eat some humble pie? Now this is a man’s site, so it’s ok to admit it here. We know it doesn’t happen that often. But I did stumble across 36 facts that aren’t facts. You’ll be shocked at what you learn here. I know I was.
- Napoleon Was Short – A tall tale. At 5′-6″, he was slightly above average height for a Frenchman of the time.
- Salty Water Boils Quicker – Adding a sprinkle of salt to water makes no difference. It can actually make boiling take longer.
- Don’t Eat and Swim – This doesn’t increase the risk of cramps; alcohol is the biggest risk increaser. But a full stomach will make you short of breath.
- Left and Right Brain – There’s no solid division between the talents of each hemisphere; the left brain can learn “right brain skills” and vice versa.
- Oil Stops Stuck Pasta – Nope: it’ll only make it greasy. Stirring prevents sticking.
- Dropped Pennies Kill – Terminal velocity of a penny is 30 to 50 mph. Not fast enough to kill, but it sure would sting.
- Three Wise Men – It’s not anywhere in the Bible that specifies there were three.
- MSG = Headaches – There’s not any scientific proof, just anecdotal evidence implicating monosodium glutamate.
- Dogs Sweat by Salivating – Nope. They regulate temperature through panting but they actually sweat through their footpads.
- Great Wall of China –It’s not visible from space. No single human structure is visible from orbit. However, you can see cities at night.
- Water Rotation – A flushed toilet does not rotate the other way in the Southern Hemisphere. The Coriolis effect doesn’t alter water in toilets.
- Einstein Failed Math – Wrong. He failed an entrance exam for a school but still excelled in math.
- Bats Are Blind – Not only can bats see, but they also use echolocation and that’s why they’re so awesome.
- Humans and Dinosaurs – Despite 41% of U.S. adults thinking we coexisted, we actually missed each other by a mere 64 million years.
- Black Holes – They’re not really “holes,” but rather hugely dense objects with massive gravitational pull.
- We Only Have 5 Senses – Some scientists say we have 21, including balance, pain and temperature.
- Missing Persons Report – Don’t wait to file one if you find yourself in this unfortunate circumstance. Because police do not require a 24-hour period before accepting a missing-persons report.
- Different Tongue Parts – You have one tongue & it doesn’t have different sections. Every section tastes the same thing; sour, salty, sweet and umami.
- You Only Use 10% Of Your Brain – Different parts of the brain are for different tasks, but ultimately, every region of the brain is used almost every day.
- Bananas Grow on Trees – They actually grow on massive herbs that just resemble trees.
- Milk Increases Mucus – This is b.s. too. There’s no reason to avoid dairy if you have a cold.
- 7 Years To Digest Gum – The chewy base of gum is indigestible and passes straight through. And the remainder is absorbed.
- Vikings’ Horns – The helmets were created by a costume designer for a 19th century Wagner opera.
- Alcohol Keeps You Warm – If that were the case some people would melt like the witch in the Wizard of Oz. It merely dilates warm blood vessels near the skin, thus creating the impression of warmth. It can actually drop core body temperature.
- Vaccines Cause Autism – Depends on who you ask. Some say it’s groundless fears based on fraudulent research. Others say look at the correlation between increased vaccines and the increase in cases of autism.
- Don’t Touch Baby Birds – Go ahead and touch them because most birds have a limited sense of smell so they won’t abandon babies who “smell” of humans.
- Alcohol Kills Brain Cells – Damage, yes. Kill, no. Even in hardcore alcoholics and heavy users it didn’t kill cells.
- Iron Maidens – 18th Century fakes were created for sensational circuses, but they were never medieval torture devices.
- Body Heat & The Head – In infants, most heat is lost through the head. But not so in grown ups, unless the head is the only uncovered part of the body.
- Wake Sleepwalkers? – Yes. Even though they’ll be confused, you’ll probably save them from hurting themselves and potentially someone else.
- Caffeine Dehydrates You – Not really. The amount of water in a cup of coffee offsets the diuretic effect.
- Goldfish’s 3-Second Memory – They’re not THAT dumb. Their memory span lasts about three months.
- Shaving Thickens Hair – It just appears to be thicker because it grows back with a blunt tip. Sorry those of you with thinning hair.
- The Vomitorium – It’s the name for the entrance to a stadium and NOT a room Romans used for Bacchanalian binges.
- Sugar = Hyperactivity – Rowdy & obnoxious kids are just that, rowdy & obnoxious kids. Studies show it’s not the sugar’s fault.
- Bulls Hate Red – They actually just hate people that tease them & perceive the motions of the bullfighter’s cloth as a threat. Bulls are actually color blind.
For more information that’s good for conversations at parties and making you look like a genius, visit informationisbeautiful.net.